Strategic Innovation Consultant ~ Callaghan Innovation May 2019 -current
Case study research on innovation sectors around the world, to inform the development of New Zealand’s Gracefield Innovation Corridor.
- Onsite interviews with innovators and entrepreneurs around the world.
- Analyze best practices, including organization/government relationship models.
- Recommending successful innovation sector development strategies.
- Work with senior teams to enhance open collaboration and the use of user-centric design to better understand client needs.
Creative Provocateur ~ International Keynote Speaker August 2018 – current
- Ignite creativity and innovation through speaking, teaching, and consulting engagements around the world.
Head of The Design Kitchen at Google [X]: X.company January 2017 – July 2018
- Led design and prototyping teams for The Design Kitchen, the company’s in-house design consultancy and prototyping lab.
- Focused on early-stage proof-of-concept prototyping for all Google X projects.
- Redesigned team work environment and consolidated multiple machine shops to promote more productive collaboration.
- Created educational programs with hands-on learning for X staff.
- Received Favorite Professor: Knight Fellow Award 2014
- Taught a wide variety of courses infusing design thinking into vehicle design, theater and performance, music and sound technology, and live engagement design, in collaboration with:
Faculty Catalyst: Education Experiences: at Autodesk : Feb 2016 – Jan 2017
- Launched the Generative Learning Lab and lead an avant garde group of engineers & designers prototyping the future of learning.
- Launched the Gammers Research Guild to gain inspiration from game designers and implement new approaches to online learning and making applications.
- Launched Catalyst Conversations: lunch time talks with guest Stanford faculty and Autodesk staff on current trends in education and technology.
- Designed and built out a high-rate metal printing 3D robotic welding lab.
- Prototyped fabrication, cooling, and tooling approaches for robotic welding manufacturing.
- Collaborated with programers and machine-learning experts to teach robots think like fabricators.
- Conceived of and founded the Stanford Creative Ignition Lab, one of the first Stanford labs to be established within the headquarters of a corporation.
- Raised over a half a million dollars from corporate sponsors to fund the lab’s establishment and operations.
- Developed the lab’s strategic vision, educational programs, and brand identity.
- Pioneered new ways to purposefully bring the tools of production seamlessly into creative processes.
- Led program from concept, developing it into a robust project with a wide variety of coursework and performance opportunities.
- Developed a challenging curriculum to create meaningful learning experiences.
- Sought out individuals and groups at the cutting edge of theater and performance to identify nascent trends in technology and art.
- Incorporated data, engaged in need-finding, and developed real-world prototypes to create more accessible and engaging theater experiences.
- Engaged students with project incubation, lecture series, workshops with industry professionals, and exposure to current theater productions and trends.
Founder / Executive Director: The Crucible: January 1999 – January 2011
- Conceived of & founded The Crucible. Crafted & designed its image, brand, & identity
- Raised over 8 million dollars from individuals & corporate sponsors
- Developed and oversaw the annual organizational budget of $3 million annually
- Managed, hired, trained, mentored, & evaluated 30 staff, 90 faculty, & 800 volunteers annually
- Developed strategic vision & lead strategic planning processes
- Designed and developed educational programs serving over 8,000 youth & adult annually
- Pioneered, designed, directed, & produced theatrical benefit performances for 25,000 annually
- Designed 2 Crucible facilities: classrooms, work spaces, gallery, & theater spaces
- Solicited, quoted, & managed commissioned projects & an entrepreneurial product line
- Oversaw the creation of the marketing, public relations, development, & communications plans
- Acted as the principal public & media spokesperson & promoter
- Cultivated & maintained critical social, political, governmental & community relationships
- Built alliances with city officials, agencies, community organizations, stakeholders, & unions
- Cultivated supportive contacts with local & national television, radio, magazine & web media
Lead Designer / Fabricator: Voltage Metal Works 1994 – Current
- Innovative custom porotypes in metal, wood, glass & fire effects.
- Architectural, ornamental, lighting, furniture, hardware, automotive, & motorcycle prototypes
Prototype Builder / Shop Manager: KID Group 1989 – 1990
- Product Design top 10 invention group with over 250 licensed products
- Created product prototypes and designs for a variety of products, including children’s toys to food packaging, and health care products to personal electronics.
- 2015- current Guest Lecturer: Arts Entrepreneurship, San Francisco Arts Institute, CA
- 2013- current Guest Lecturer: Arts Entrepreneurship Program, UC Berkeley, CA
- 2012- current Lecturer: Mechanical Engineering Design, d.school, Stanford University, CA
- 1999-12 The Crucible Oakland, CA: metal & glass departments
- 1995-99 Civic Arts Center, Walnut Creek, CA: bronze casting, ceramic sculpture
- 1998 California College of Arts, Oakland, CA: sodium silicate sand molding
- 1998 The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, IL: figurative metal sculpture
- 1997 The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, IL: introduction to metal working
- 1997 Ox-Bow, Saugatuck, MI: iron casting
- 1997 The Evanston Art Center, Evanston, IL: forging and metal forming
- 1996 National Institute for Art & Disabilities, Richmond, CA: ceramics
- 1996 Xcentric Metal Works, Oakland, CA: welding, metal design & fabrication
- 1996 Studio One Art Center, Oakland, CA: stone carving, ceramics
- 1994-96 Bay Area Discovery Museum, Sausalito, CA: ceramics, woodworking
- 1995 ASUC Art Studio at U.C. Berkeley, CA: clay carving & glass cullet glazing
- 1994 Mendocino Art Center, CA : sodium silicate bronze casting
- 1994 Boys & Girls Clubs of Oakland, Oakland, CA: fine arts
- 1992 Studio Art Centers International, Florence, Italy: marble carving
Selected Design Thinking Instruction
- 2016 80 Founders & CEOs via Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business (CKGSB)
- 2016 70 CEOs from China via China Europe International Business School (CEIBS)
- 2015 35 Students from Nanyang Tech University EMBA
- 2015 50 Entrepreneurs via the School of Economics and Management of Tsinghua University
- 2014 42 Students & faculty from Indian School of Design & Innovation ISDI Parsons Mumbai
- 2014 26 Guangdong Province Mayors, China: Stanford Center for International Development
- 2017 Keynote: Digi.logue Summit: Future Tellers, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2017 Keynote: Future City, Et Cultura Festival, St Pete, Florida
- 2016 Keynote: TMTpost T-EDGE Innovation Summit: Beyond Impossible, Beijing, China
- 2016 California College of Arts: “Teaching Robots to Weld” San Francisco, CA
- 2016 Lazer: Leonardo Art/Science Evening Rendezvous “Creative Education” UC Berkley, CA
- 2014 TEDx Stanford: “Harness Your Creativity” Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- 2012 LIU Lecture Series: Graduate Design Program, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- 2011 World Conference on Mass Customization: Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
- 2009 “Art & Design” Kitengela Glass Research & Training Trust Nairobi, Kenya
- 2007 “Kinetic Art ” The Learning Connexion Ltd Wellington, New Zealand
- 1999 “From Artist to Teacher to Director” Blasthaus Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- 1997 “Alternative Ceramic Techniques” The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 1994 “Ceramic Sculpture Techniques” Mendocino Arts Center, Mendocino, CA
- 1998 Master of Fine Arts in Sculpture: The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 1994 Bachelor of Fine Arts in Sculpture – magna cum laude: New York State College of Ceramics: School of Art & Design: Alfred University, NY
- 1992 Stone Carving Residency: Studio de Sem Ghelardini, Pietrasanta (Luca) Italy
- 1992 Honors Sculpture Program: Studio Art Centers International, Florence, Italy
- 2010 LeaderSpring Fellow: 2-year Leadership Program for nonprofit executive directors
Selected Awards / Honors
- 2019 Edmund Hillary Fellow Cohort 5, New Zealand
- 2016 Theatron Network Advisor: Redesigning Theatre, Royal Danish Theatre, Denmark
- 2014 Favorite Professor: Knight Fellow Award, Stanford University, CA
- 2007 World Land Speed Record: Motorcycle on B100% bio-diesel, Bonneville Salt Flats, UT
- 1998 Absolut Au Kurant Juried Invitational Merit Award, Chicago, IL
- 1998 Dussek Campbell-Yates Shaping the Future Award, Chicago, IL
- 1998 Edward L. Rhyerson Fellowship Award The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 1996 Jury Award Bedford Gallery, Dean Lesher Regional Center for the Arts, CA
- 1994 Olin Award: F.W. Olin College of Business, Alfred University, Alfred, NY
- 1994 Departmental Honors: The School of Art & Design, NYSCC, Alfred, NY
- 1993 Jury Award for outstanding media articulation: School of Art & Design, Alfred, NY
- 1992 Award for excellence in sculpture: S.A.C.I., Florence, Italy
Organizational & program development, facility design, user experience design: 2004 – current
- Atolye: Transdisciplinary Innovation Platform, Istanbul, Turkey
- Kitengela: Glass Research and Training Trust Nairobi, Kenya
- The Learning Connexion Ltd: Wellington, New Zealand
- Ecostudio: Creative Center for the Arts and Sustainability, City of Knowledge, Panama
- Palos Talleres de Arte: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- The Gasyard Development Trust: Derry, Northern Ireland
- LOCS (Literacy Ontario – Central South): Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
- The Workshop: Tel Aviv, Israel
- Tek.Venture Incorporated: Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Fallbrook School for the Arts: Fallbrook, California
- Nimbus Arts: St. Helena, California
- Montana Blacksmith School: Bozeman, Montana
Live Theatrical Productions
- 2017 “Viva La Resistance!” Fire Theater: The Crucible, Oakland, CA: designer & director
- 2016 “The Origin of Love” Fire Theater: The Crucible, Oakland, CA: designer & director
- 2014 “Quest” Live engagement: Innovation Endeavors, Santa Cruz, CA: designer & director
- 2013 “Oakland School for Arts Anniversary” Fox Theater, Oakland, CA: designer & director
- 2010 “Heat” Fire Cabaret: The Crucible, Oakland, CA: Designer, director & producer
- 2009 “Dracul: Prince of Fire” Fire Ballet: The Crucible: Designer, director & producer
- 2008 “Firebird” Fire Ballet: The Crucible, Oakland, CA: Designer, director & producer
- 2007 “Romeo & Juliet” Fire Ballet: The Crucible, Oakland, CA: Designer, director & producer
- 2007 “The Fire Odyssey” Epic theatre: The Crucible: Designer, director & producer
- 2006 “Seven Deadly Sins” Fire Opera: The Crucible: Designer, co-director & producer
- 2004 “Dido & Aeneas” Fire Opera: The Crucible: Designer, co-director & producer
- 1999-2009 “Fire Arts Festivals” Annual event at The Crucible: Designer & producer
Solo Art Exhibitions
- 1999 “Machines of Metal & Light” Blasthaus, San Francisco, CA
- 1998 “Organsmatic & Mechanatomical Works” The Better Weimaraner Gallery, Chicago, IL
- 1995 “Signs of Life” Art Tech: Holmes Fine Art Gallery, San Jose, CA
- 1994 “Remains and Artifacts of A Dead Planet” NYSCC, School of Art & Design, Alfred, NY
- 1991 “From Here to Reality” Garden Gallery, Walnut Creek, CA
- 1990 “In the Beginning” Salathe’ Gallery, Pitzer College, Claremont, CA